23 Oct This Saturday, We Fly!
Witches of Delray!
We’re organizing at City Hall (100 NW 1st Ave, Delray Beach, FL 33444) and taking flight from there. Please arrive at City Hall, between 6:30 AM and 7:30 AM. (Earlier is better). Even though you might have registered online you’ll need to get your wrist band and get a bike safety check. We will take flight promptly at 8 AM. There will be a catch up break at Anchor Park before our arrival at the Green Market. Don’t worry about how to get there, just follow the Alpha and Beta Witches.
- Review the rider rules HERE.
- Print the Route Map HERE.
- Test drive your bike fully decorated. Are the decorations safe and do not interfere with safe bicycle operation? (Are they waterproof in case of rain?)
- Is your costume bicycle friendly? Wind could blow your costume into moving parts. Make sure nothing can get caught in the spokes, chain and otherwise interfere with safe operation of the bike. (again, waterproof?)
- Is your hat tied down? It’s hard to keep both hands on the handlebars if you’re holding your hat down. If you missed our hat grommet station at the fundraiser, you can cut small holes in your hat right above your ears. Take a 36 inch length of string (ribbon, shoe lace, etc), loop it around the top front of the hat and drop both ends through the holes. This gives you a way to “tie it down”. Better yet, mount your hat to a bicycle helmet and let the helmet strap keep you safe and hold it down. Alpha witch secures a small hat to her bicycle helmet with small zip-ties.
Pre-Ride Bicycle Safety Check
The witches set good examples and we’re all about safety of ourselves and others around us. Prior to the ride, you’ll receive a free safety check. They’ll check your tires adding air if needed and make sure you’ve “tied it down”. The bicycle safety check is provided by Richwagen’s Bike and Sport and the Delray Beach Bicycle Club. You will not be permitted to ride until your bike is safe.
Whatever your poison, show your spirit at the Delray Beach Green Market after our ride and compete for hand- made trophy’s made by our very own and very talented Beta Witch Tricia McFadden, and the best bling you’ll wear all season!
The contests are held after the ride at the Delray Beach Green Market. Even if you don’t plan on entering this year’s contests for Best Broom (bike), best Costume, best Group or best Witch Cackle, it is a fun event to watch and you’ll get to vote and cheer for your favorite witches.
We’ve brought in Delray’s highest authorities of witch style and spirit and we are proud to announce this year’s panel of judges. Joining us this year:
- Returning Judge Amanda Perna Strul of the The House of Perna.
- Returning Judge Jestena Boughton of the Colony Hotel & Cabaña Club.
- First time Judge Lisa Walsh of Tim Finnegans.
- First time Judge Deborah Dowd of ACCF.
Emceeing our event this year will be Alpha Witch, Andie DeVoe. These community members know style…they know class….and they know shenanigans! So, pull out your “witchy” best, see what kind of bedlam we can create, and find out if you’re a good witch or a bad ass witch! Proceeds from this event benefit Achievement Centers for Children and Families.